Educational Groups :: Discovery
This is a General English course, aimed at 11-18 year old students and consists of 15 hours General English + an afternoon Activity programme accompanied by Globe staff. Courses include an evening activity and weekend excursions are available on request.
We use communicative activities to activate students’ passive knowledge and to build their confidence. The course is 75% speaking and listening. Classes focus on the use of Natural English and include authentic materials, role play, music, drama and project work.
Various topics such as life in Britain, traditions and festivals, local legends, survival English etc are incorporated into the course to suit the students’ interests and the time of year. Schools may take the standard course or may request 1 or 2 topics to link to their own curriculum but it is generally left up to our class teachers.
11-14 year old students
- Contemporary British Life, (traditions and festivals, food and drink …)
- Travel and Holidays (types of holidays, transport, presentations on different countries…)
- Sport, Health and Fitness (typical British sports, keeping fit, the body, healthy eating…)
- Local Myths and storytelling (Dartmoor legends, ghost stories…)
- Survival English (shopping, directions, changing money)
- Contemporary film and Music (music styles, famous people…)
15-18 year old students
- Contemporary British Life, (political system, education, immigration …)
- Intercultural studies (travel, cultural awareness, presentations on different countries…)
- Sport, Health and Fitness (extreme sports, diet, the Olympics…)
- The Supernatural and local Myths and Legends (Dartmoor legends, ghost stories…)
- Literature and storytelling (Detective stories, Arthur Conan Doyle, Agatha Christie…)
- Contemporary film and Music (Popular music, modern film styles, study of 1 film…)
- Current Affairs (the Media, the news, political system, education etc)
- Exeter and the surrounding area (local history, surveys in town, redesigning the Quay)
- The Environment (Alternative energy, recycling, endangered species …)
- Science and Technology (Inventions, impact of computers, internet research…)
- Creative Writing (stories, poems, academic essays, articles …)
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for an individual quote.